1. Courses and modules
Our online courses of Greek and Latin language and literature will not be held this winter; our next season of lessons will take place from January 2023 onwards. It will consist of a first-level Greek and Latin course and a third-level Latin course, as well as literature courses and reading seminars. In the meantime, our Academy is proposing three high-level reading seminars especially aimed at those students who have learned the classical languages through our Academy's teaching methods: they will be carried out entirely through explanations in Latin and Greek. Moreover, the teachers will propose active linguistic exercises based on the texts read during the lessons. We are accepting advanced students that have either completed the third level of the pertinent language or passed an admission test that will be sent by completing the following form. No payment is required before having passed the test.
- Aeneid: In this seminar, the students will read the second book of the Aeneid. Apart from the linguistic and metric explanations, the subject of the fall of Troy will be thoughtfully discussed.
- Seneca: In this seminary, the aim is to examine Seneca's moral philosophy by reading a topic-based anthology that will contain excerpts from practically all of the author's works. A wide outlook of Seneca's most beloved themes will be given.
- Plato and Homer: This seminar will be divided in two parts: 8 lessons on the fifth book of the Iliad and 8 on the character of Socrates as portrayed in Plato's Symposium and Xenophon's Memorabilia.
Length: 8 weeks, from October 24th to December 17th of 2022; two weekly lessons for each module.
Credits: 30 hours of class and 20 hours of private study; 50 hours in total. (2 ETCS)
- SEM1, Aeneid: Every Monday and Thursday (from 19:00 to 21:00 Central European Time CET/CEST);
- SEM2, Seneca: Every Tuesday and Friday (from 19:00 to 21:00 Central European Time CET/CEST);
- SEM3, Plato and Homer: Every Wednesday and Saturday (from 19:00 to 21:00 Central European Time CET/CEST).
Price: 400€ for each module.
2. Costs and enrollment
In order to participate, students are required to fill out the application form. In the event of their acceptance, they are required to send in a 30% deposit of the total program fee in order to reserve their spot. All courses offerred are not for profit, as the Academy Vivarium novum is a non-profit organization. The participation cost covers:
- Online didactic material
Students will pay for their own textbooks and purchase them in their own countries: only in the event that books aren't available for purchase in a certain region will the Academy ship them by express courier. In this case, only the cost of shipping will be charged to the student.
All proceeds from the summer courses will be used to fund scholarships granted to youths attending the Academy's courses for the academic year 2021-2022 at the Vivarium novum, and to support the necessary renovation works of the Villa Falconieri, where the Academy is housed.
The payment must be transferred exclusively in euros, by paypal or wire transfer.
To request admission one must fill out and submit the following application form.
In order to sustain those who have greater difficulties in paying the tuition fees, the Academy Vivarium novum will grant 10 scholarships for participation in the courses. No specific eligibility is required for applying. We ask all interested parties to fill the following application form and send a presentation letter and a curriculum of previous studies along with an ID document to email@example.com before october 18 2022.
4. Application form
You can apply to our summer course through this form. You will first receive an automatic email to confirm that your application has been received, then, within 3 days, a confirmation message from our secretaries.
If you are using Safari or Internet explorer, please make sure to enter your birthday in this exact format: YYYY-MM-DD (with the dashes), otherwise the system will not process it.